Thursday, August 2, 2007

Reality Check

I've given up the fool's errand of a sub 2:00 half marathon at the Rock N' Roll in Virginia Beach. I knew going in that a significant chunk of my training would take place in the Philippines but my notorious ambition ignored this slight obstacle. It won't get me down but with about 4 weeks until race day my new goal will be to just enjoy the festivities of the race and to not get too competitive with LCT :)

Below is a summary of my runs since I've been in Asia. It's painful to record here but hey, part of this blog's purpose is to keep me honest so...eh, here it goes:

July 3 2007 - Run with cousin MCP
2.0 miles

Jul 6 2007 - Solo run in Taiwan
2.1 miles | 18:05 time | 8:36 min/mil

Jul 8 2007 - Solo run in Taiwan
2.16 miles | 18:27 time | 8:31 min/mil

Jul 19 2007 - Run with LNJ
2.09 miles | 22:01 time | 10:30 min/mil

Jul 20 2007 - Run with LNJ
3 miles | 27:27 time | 9:56 min/mil

Jul 25 2007 - Solo run in Phils
3 miles | 26:48 time | 8:59 min/mil

Jul 31 2007
4.16 miles | 37:29 time | 8:59 min/mil

Aug 1 2007
3 miles | 26:19 time | 8:50 min/mil

Total : ~ 18 Miles out of my scheduled 87 miles!!


Holy !@#$&*!!!

To be fair, however, I'm proud of the fact that I've gotten my ass out of bed as much as I have given the fact that both in Taiwan and the Philippines at around 5am, it's a 'cool' 85 degrees and humid as all hell! Also, despite a crazy aerobic adjustment of running in some serious smog along the river banks, I've managed to keep up my base level of fitness...definitely not race ready but good enough if I keep things up or increase my mileage until I head back to the U.S. just in time for the half.

Damn this blog and 'keeping me honest' crap...

As they say around here: Mabuhay!!

3 comments:

peter said...

Your times look alright to me for the hot humid summer. If you start running any distance three times a week and throw in a couple of six-eight milers, I think you'll do okay at the R&R.

I'd love to visit the Philippines someday; my uncle was a soldier who chased the enemy across the islands in 1944 & 1945 and my dad was a marine who fought them on the nearby Palau island group while another uncle was a marine AA gunnery officer aboard a light cruiser in the Battle of the Philippine Sea aka The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.

RunToTheFinish said...

Don't give up on the sub 2 hour! I had the same goal for a 1/2 last October and generally my running times weren't anything that should make me believe it was doable... but race day you put on the game face and go. Enjoy every minute and just figure it's only 13 miles.

Good luck and wow I wish I was running somewhere that amazing!

TNTcoach Ken said...

I agree the blog keeps you honest. Now you realize the world is watching you. You came up a little short on your mileage, so you may want to rethink the sub-2.