Tuesday, May 15, 2007

How I Got Here

It's likely that I would decide to run a fall marathon and forget that this would mean training in the HEAT and HUMIDITY of summer. This fact couldn't become any clearer today when I strutted out of the office at lunch time for my weekly long run in The Arb (see pic) and found that it was 85 degrees! I was prepared though having downed three lemon flavored (my favorite) Propels the hour before my planned run -- bring on the heat!

Crap. It's hot. Don't bring on the heat, please. But MY GOD! I'M FILIPINO! ISN'T IT IN MY BLOOD TO BE TOLERANT OF HEAT?! Bring on the cool breeze only to be found in early morning runs. It wasn't the most graceful of all runs but I completed my 8-miler without succumbing to a heat stroke. I read once that when training in the summer, one ought to slowly acclimate oneself to the heat...Of course. That just sounds too sensible.

I need to admit that as a former soccer-playing-jock, I despised running. I was mystified by the mental game of the cross country runners and often thought of them as masochists to some significant degree. Despite running around 6 miles in a ninety minute soccer game as a midfielder, I rarely ran more than three miles on my own and when I did, I certainly didn't look forward to it. Looking back, I realize how different my mental toughness was in my adolescence. The team dynamic largely carried my inspiration on the field - this and the fact that I loved to play.

My how things have changed.

Beyond high school and college I discovered that staying fit can be a bit trickier; training solo can be depressing. But one day, I woke up feeling overwhelmed as a new parent, juggling a new town, adjusting to a whole new University. Worse, I was struggling with losing the last few pounds I gained from my pregnancy and for the first time in my life, I was bummed by the way I looked. Fed up, I went out for a run one day and it felt great; SO great in fact that I continued to run for months! With big plans of marathons and sub-4:00 miles (not really) -- Of course we know what this means: I over-trained and got ahead of myself! THEN more big life changes came my way and I fell out of step. But this time, I knew exactly what I needed to do to find my balance again: running and more generally, staying active.

So, here I am with a solid three months of 15-20 miles per week, an awesome bike to get me from home to campus (on most days) and to get me around some of the great bike routes around the area and a two-year-old that I can actually keep up with (again, on most days). Now that I can be proud of some consistency, I need to step up the level of my training. Now. Now that it's really hot out. Now that I have one of many races planned coming up this weekend. Now that I have a 10K and a half-marathon to look forward to on my road to the big bad Chicago Marathon (on my birthday) or Detroit (because it's close by).

1 comment:

Julie D said...

Best of luck in your training. You'll find a way to incorporate it into your life!