Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Dreading it for 5 miles

I have happily been in the same place for five days in a row now. A much needed respite to all the traveling in general but particularly, the madness that is Manila.

Despite living approximately 5 miles from UP Diliman and Ateneo, travel time there would take at least an hour of life threatening maneuvering.

Enough said, right?

For once, I am truly appreciating suburbia and my ability to get some work done. (But since this is more of a running blog, I won't go there right now.)

I'm pretty sure that my failure to get my scheduled miles in have contributed to an unusual threshold of impatience regarding the heat and traffic. Despite the cleaner air out here, however, I've opted to run on my cousin's treadmill.

And don't think I didn't crank up the air conditioning. Because I did.

5 miles | 45:33 time | 9:06 min/mil

Did I still sweat like hell, you ask?

You bet your ass I did. Because it's effing humid out here DESPITE the air conditioning.

5 comments:

peter said...

Nice pace for five miles, even if it was on the dreadmill. Here in DC it was 102 when I took my noon group out yesrday (we only went two miles) and 92 but felt like 99 with the dewpoint at 7 pm when I did my first track workout in half a year (gotta start sometime). Due to my physical issues I hadn't been running much and you do get cranky, antsey and impatient.

TNTcoach Ken said...

At least you got in five miles, even if it was the dreadmill! The heat seems to be everywhere, but I'm not complaining. I know what it can be like in February.

Mike said...

Poor Mia! Sorry but just the visual of you on a treadmill, AC cranked and STILL dealing with the humidity...yikes!! Maybe crank out a fan, if available, to get some breeze on you for those dreadmill runs. I don't know how you do it...working out in humid conditions just sucks the friggen life out of me.

Rhea said...

Ick ... heat and humidity in the PI is the worst. When are you coming back to the States?

Julie D said...

That is a great pace. I do a lot of my training indoors on the treadmill with the fan on. It often is not enough, and sometimes there are no more fans available. I despise summer...