Thursday, June 18, 2009

Speed & Strength

I've been out of the blogging loop but I'm still out there training.

First, my running this week has been derailed by both work and bad weather – all is not lost, however, which is the beauty of only running three times a week; it makes it easier to make up the miles. Right now, my goal is to keep a steady 12-15 mpw until I start a training program for fall half marathon. Instead of increasing the miles, I'm focusing on FAST miles. I was really happy about last week and every run felt amazing.

Tue 6/9: 4.5 Miles @ 10:02 pace HR-170 TE-5.0

Thu 6/12: 3.5 Miles @ 8:34 pace HR-174 TE-4.4

Sun 6/14: 4.2 Miles @ 9:36 pace HR-170 TE-4.8

(I've been keeping an excel sheet running log because I'm a dork and like playing around with all the data points. I also make sure that as much as possible I jot down a few notes post workout to note how I felt. If anyone has a favorite way that they track their workouts, I would love to hear about it!)

Another big change in my workouts is that I've abandoned the traditional weight circuit for a workout that emphasizes lower weights (3lbs max) and very high repetitions (50-100 range). It's been about a week of this type of strength training and I really like the results. My muscles are looking leaner rather than bulkier– a little weight training for me and I can get pretty big for my frame.

My original inspiration was from pilates but then I decided to do some desk research about alternative strength training that doesn't bulk up my muscles. Here, I found Tracy Anderson's method. Typically, I shy away from trendy workouts that force me to buy anything (DVD, equipment, memberships, etc) – but here, I just took advantage of her philosophy and found MANY free resources on the web:

I love strength training but get bored with too much routine. I'm sure I'll constantly find ways to gain strength without bulk – besides, I wouldn't want to show up my fiancĂ© ;) He's hot – he can have the big muscles. J

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I log my mileage and training on an Excel spreadsheet too. I find it easy to read and easy to record. I haven't been recording as much information as I'd like - just the date, number of minutes and mileage for now - eventually I want to also include time of day and how I feel.

arabic search said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article

Mohammad Yousuf Mulaifi said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article